Kendra Ross, who resides in Brooklyn, is a new R&B star on the horizon. Her debut album was released in 2007 and she is still touring behind it. Though fairly new on her path as a solo artist, she’s no ingenue to the hip hop/R&B game having previously worked with some known talents such as Talib Kweli, Kanye West, and Faith Evans. Her next stop is SXSW next Wednesday, March 18, 2009, at The Mohawk Patio (912 Red River Street) at 9:00 PM. Check the SXSW site here for more 411. And check her answer to Number 14. Welcome to Austin, Kendra!
March 9, 2009
Name: Kendra Ross
Latest Release: New Voice (Self-Released)
Release Date: July 10, 2007
This, That, or the Other
1. Underground OR Mainstream? Underground
2. Maintain Artistic Integrity and Vision OR Make a lot of Money? (or both)??? BOTH!
3. Studio or Stage? STAGE!
4. Spirituality OR Hedonism? We like a balance between the sacred and the profane but SPIRITUALITY!
5. Make Love, Have Sex, OR %$*!? I’m a girlie girl so let’s go with the first one!
Fill in the Blank
6. Music is my husband.
7. I’m musically inspired by everyday life…
8. My favorite old school joint is 4fun!: “Turn Off The Lights” by The World Class Wreckin’ Cru (which included a fancier, prettier Dr. Dre!).
9. If I was a super hero I’d be Wonder Woman.
10. Sex, Drugs, and Rock & Roll should change to Yoga, Acai, and Live Instruments.
11. I make music because: Every time I write a new song, I learn more about myself. If it is a good one, every time I sing it I get something different out of it. And it’s fun!
12. I want my fans to: Grow with me. Also, to remember the first time they ever bought a piece of music and think about how that made them feel…then put my record on.
13. If I could share one thing about myself it would be: I’ve got sooooooooo much more music inside of me that I feel like my head is going to explode…so…STAY TUNED….
14. Wild Card I can’t wait to get to Austin and do my show! I’ve wanted to come to SXSW for 4ever!
15. I want my musical legacy to be: She meant every word she sang, got better and better at her craft, and really went for it on stage.
Kendra Ross’ favorite old school joint!
Editor’s Note: Kendra Ross chose a challenging old school joint. I couldn’t find anything official out there in the way of a music video. Maybe, there wasn’t one. So, this was the best option.