Now, I don’t know that I’d normally report on something like this on popolio, but I’ve been covering Wayna as part of our special SXSW coverage here at popolio for the last few weeks and this did happen in Texas. The 2009 Grammy Nominee graced us with a pop quiz a few weeks ago and I just posted a Wayna sxsw show pic-olio yesterday.
She was arrested on Wednesday, March 25, 2009, at a Houston airport for being in possession of a police billy club. Apparently, there was a mix-up with her bags. Ironically, she uses this as a prop during her performance of her anti-police brutality number, “Billy Club.” The irony being that she was arrested, not that the police were violent. Hopefully, they treated her with respect.
I can attest to the use of the billy club as a prop as I saw her SXSW show last Wednesday (hence, the pic-olio). None of the pics I shared were of that number, so they don’t include the billy club. Most importantly, the charges were dropped. A Houston judge dismissed the charges. We wish her the best coming out of this situation.
So, this is the last installment of our special sxsw show pic-olios this week. This one features 2009 Grammy Nominee, Wayna. She was 1 of our 5 SXSW pop quiz Artists featured earlier this month. I wasn’t able to get out to The Wong Boys’ or Clarence Bucaro’s shows to take pics, but do check out their pop quizzeshere and here.
Now, I had never seen Wayna perform prior to her Grammy Nomination, but she definitely brought her A game to SXSW afterwards. I just wonder if she stepped it up after the nomination or if she was always performing that way. She involved the crowd in sing-backs, brought up a previous performer (lead performer Ter’ell Shahid of local Austin band, NeckBone) for a number, and had some nice convo with the audience.
Remember, Wayna and Kendra Ross were both part of the same soul showcase at SXSW. The indie soul revolution is alive and well and will not be televised (but it might be streamed on your computer internet) and these are two of the ladies leading the charge. You need to check them both out.
Editor’s Note: Pic 3 wasn’t intentional, but it looks kind of experimental and cool, so I decided to include it. Pic 4 has a big ‘ole head in it. There was a flurry of photogs and I’m fairly new to this gig. So, excuse da’ head. Lastly, I hope you enjoyed the sxsw show pic-olios this week.
Based in Maryland, Wayna is a 2009 Grammy Nominee (Yes, a Grammy Nominee!) who is blazing trails with her indie R&B. She was in the Best Urban/Alternative Performance Category, which tells you she’s anything but traditional. Though Chrisette Michelle’s “Be OK” featuring will.i.am was chosen over her song ”Lovin You (Music)” featuring Kokayi, it’s all about the nomination in popolio’s book. She’s popolio’s first Grammy-nominated pop quiz artist.* From the Grammys to SXSW, her show is next Wednesday, March 18, 2009, at The Mohawk Patio (912 Red River Street) at 1o:00 PM. She’s part of the urban bill there that includes our first SXSW popolio pop quiz artist this week, Kendra Ross. More info at the SXSW site here.
This, That, or the Other
1. Underground OR Mainstream? Mainstream
2. Maintain Artistic Integrity and Vision OR Make a lot of Money? (or both)??? Both, but if I have to lean toward one, it would be Integrity/Vision. 3. Studio or Stage? Stage, I love vibing off the band and the audience. Anything can happen at any moment. 4. Spirituality OR Hedonism? Spirituality, it is at the heart of everything. 5. Make Love, Have Sex, OR %$*!? All of the above, but with the man I love.
Fill in the Blank 6. Music is myescape, my best mode of communication, and the boyfriend with whom I have a slightly obsessive relationship. 7. I’m musically inspired bya story that needs to be told. 8. My favorite old school joint is“Yesterday”by The Beatles. 9. If I was a super hero I’d be The Bionic Woman with Wonder Woman’s jet and jewelry. 10. Sex, Drugs, and Rock & Roll should change toTruth,Wine, and Live Instruments.
Short Answer 11. I make music because: It is the only job I would do for free.
12. I want my fans to: Feel inspired and to keep inspiring me.
13. If I could share one thing about myself it would be: Nothing motivates me more than being underestimated.
14. Wild Card! My ideal vacation is laying on a quiet beach with a mimosa and good book. 15. I want my musical legacy to be: Making a catalogue that is appreciated many years to come and that really captured what people of my time were thinking and feeling.
* Editor’s Note: Though officially our first EVER featured Grammy Artist was Lisa “Left Eye” Lopes, though posthumously. I interviewed her brother, Ron Lopes, for a popolio podcast regarding her first posthumous release, Eye Legacy. TLC is a four-time Grammy-winning group. You can find that popolio podcast interview posted in January 2009 here.
About the Site:
Austin, TX music blogazine featuring pop outside the box from September 15, 2008 through November 27, 2011