Of the 5 months that we’ve been doing pop quizzes at popolio, this is the most creative interpretation by an artist, period. Clay Pendergrass answered his pop quiz as an artistic collage that he entitled MusicAsColorPage. Maybe future pop quiz artists should take note. Not saying I’m challenging you all. Just sayin’, though.
ßClick here to experience it in its sublime entirety. For Clay Pendergrass’ latest singles and favorite old school video scroll down.
Please note, I’ve transcribed it below. For all intents and purposes the collage is the pop quiz. There are all kinds of extra fun delights in the form of text and imagery that I didn’t capture in the transcription that you’ll miss out on if you don’t check it out.
February 6, 2009
Name: Clay Pendergrass
Forthcoming Release: moRning elephanT EP (Self-Released)
Release Date: April 2009
This, That, or the Other
1. Underground OR Mainstream? Understream
2. Maintain Artistic Integrity and Vision OR Make a lot of Money? (or both)??? A line has two sides/the grass is always greener
3. Studio or Stage? Yes & think of the radio
4. Spirituality OR Hedonism? Spiritonism
5. Make Love, Have Sex, OR %$*!? ♥ 2 ♥ (Heart to Heart)
Fill in the Blank
6. Music is my unpredictable passion action.
7. I’m musically inspired by the search in progress.
8. My favorite old school joint is “Body and Soul” by Coleman Hawkins.
9. If I was a super hero I’d be Willie Nelson.
10. Sex, Drugs, and Rock & Roll states the problem in words as clearly as possible.
11. Music is my unacceptable color. I make music: as a release.
12. I want my fans to: Listen.
13. I want my musical legacy to be: biodegradable.
14. If I could share one thing about myself it would be: The most important thing is the thing most easily forgotten.
15. Wild Card! Editor’s Note: I take his whole pop quiz to be Clay Pendergrass’ Wild Card.
The second is from the East Dallas Mix Tape, and it’s called, “On Repeat.”
Clay Pendergrass’ favorite old school joint!