You get a two-fer today as I missed yesterday’s post. Allergies have been kicking my butt for some days now. Ran my errands yesterday, got home, and just slept all day. But, woke up bright and early today and am serving you breakfast videos.
* * *
I thought it would be fun to countdown MY TOP 10: Music Video Cameos. That is, music videos with cameos by non-musical personalities who are known for working in other areas of show biz. My criteria were that:
1) the video be memorable, of course;
2) the featured personality not be another musical artist at the time (now if they became musical artists at a later point that’s another story; they’re still eligible);
3) the featured personality be known at the time (not be an unknown who became known later); and
4) the cameo be a worthwhile part in the video (not just a 2-second spot).
4. Naomi Campbell, Cindy Crawford, Linda Evangelista, Tatjana Patitz, Christy Turlington, Scott Benoit, Peter Formby, John Pearson, Todo Segalla and Mario Serranti in George Michael’s “Freedom! 90″
This was Mr. Michael’s (That doesn’t quite work, does it? That being his middle name and all.) coming out song. Initially, it was about his struggle with his record company and his mission to gain his artistic independence. The story isn’t new. Prince, anyone? When the stuff about his sexuality came out years later that’s when the layers about that became clear. Obviously, those layers were always there as the song itself came from George.
He eviscerated the icons of his past imagery and success attempting to forge a new path. He is in the video, though, if only for a moment. The guy in the boxers who scratches himself is, reportedly, him. A lyrical and visual slight for the slack he got for his @$$-time in the “Faith” video. How bold was it to not appear in your own music video and replace yourself with a bunch of top models? I think quite bold. That’s why it’s Number 4.
Editor’s Note: The song was renamed “Freedom! 90″ to distinguish it from the earlier Wham! hit of the same name.