I attended the ¡Pachanga! Latino Music Festival last month and took pics of the three acts we featured in pop quizzes as a mini-countdown to the event. This Maneja Beto show pic-olio is 1 of 3. David Garza and Charanga Cakewalk will follow this Wednesday and Friday. Check out the Maneja Beto popolio pop quizhere, enjoy the pic-olio, and stay tuned for parts 2 and 3.
I wanted to apologize for the delays on the latest edition of MY TOP 10 Countdown. Things have been poppin’ (no pun intended) a little more than usual at popolio.com, lately. That’s a good thing. Having more to do than not enough is never a bad thing, but because of that I haven’t been able to post in a timely manner.
Tonight, I went to the ¡Pachanga! Fest to take pics of the artists that were featured in pop quizzes this week. So, stay tuned for pics of Maneja Beto, David Garza, and Charanga Cakewalk. Tomorrow, I have a phone interview scheduled for a forthcoming popolio podcast. Shhh. Not saying who the artist is. I have to prep for it, so I will post the last 3 MY TOP 10 videos tomorrow after that.
And, I have a Questions with local band, The Ugly Beats, coming on Monday. It was scheduled to post yesterday, but with all the ¡Pachanga! fare going on, I didn’ t want to take shine away from them.
Don’t worry. Your frazzled editor will keep his shhh together.
As a mini-countdown to the ¡Pachanga! Latino Music Festival THIS SATURDAY popolio is featuring 3 ¡Pachanga! Artists in pop quizzes today through Friday.
* * * First up is, local favorite band, Maneja Beto. Running the gamut from the romantic to the political, they create rock- and pop-tinged Latin/Mexican music that they’ve branded “Indie en Español.” Repping for the band tonight is Bobby Garza. They play the Yerba Stage (at Fiesta Gardens) at 6PM. Check the ¡Pachanga! Fest site here for more 411.
May 27, 2009
Name: Bobby Garza [Maneja Beto percussion/keys/voz/loops]
Genre: Indie en Español
Latest Release: Maneja Beto untitled EP (Self-Released)
Release Date: April 2008
This, That, or the Other
1. Underground OR Mainstream? Underground
2. Maintain Artistic Integrity and Vision OR Make a lot of Money? (or both)??? Is this, like, make-believe or one of those “Choose Your Own Destiny” books? I’ve chosen to go left. What does that mean? Hold, please while I turn to page 47. 3. Studio or Stage? Studio 4. Spirituality or Hedonism? Spiritual Hedonism 5. Make Love, Have Sex, OR %$*!? Spiritual Hedonism
Fill in the Blank 6. Music is myYes, it is.
7. I’m musically inspired byIt’s never one thing or the same thing…
8. My favorite old school joint is“Monk’s Mood”by Thelonious Monk. That’s what it is lately, but it’s never the same. It could anything from Sly to BBD to Serge Gainsbourg or Los Angeles Negros or the Ozark Mountain Daredevils, for that matter.
9. If I was a super hero I’d be Are there fat super heroes?
10. Sex, Drugs, and Rock & Roll should change toLone Star,Lone Star, and I’m sorry. What was the question?
Short Answer 11. I make music because: It’s not really a question of why. It’s how and to what extent.
12. I want my fans to: Fans? Awesome.
13. If I could share one thing about myself it would be: Besides my name? That seems pretty important.
14. Wild Card! Capybaras are fascinating and I’m told they’re also tasty.
15. I want my musical legacy to be: That the music I make matters to people.
Listen to “Campanera” from Maneja Beto’s latest untitled EP. Find out more at their MySpace Page.
Bobby Garza’s favorite old school joint!
About the Site:
Austin, TX music blogazine featuring pop outside the box from September 15, 2008 through November 27, 2011