Based in Maryland, Wayna is a 2009 Grammy Nominee (Yes, a Grammy Nominee!) who is blazing trails with her indie R&B. She was in the Best Urban/Alternative Performance Category, which tells you she’s anything but traditional. Though Chrisette Michelle’s “Be OK” featuring will.i.am was chosen over her song ”Lovin You (Music)” featuring Kokayi, it’s all about the nomination in popolio’s book. She’s popolio’s first Grammy-nominated pop quiz artist.* From the Grammys to SXSW, her show is next Wednesday, March 18, 2009, at The Mohawk Patio (912 Red River Street) at 1o:00 PM. She’s part of the urban bill there that includes our first SXSW popolio pop quiz artist this week, Kendra Ross. More info at the SXSW site here.
March 13, 2009
Genre: R&B/Soul/Hip Hop/Singer-Songwriter
Latest Release: Higher Ground
Release Date: April 15, 2008
This, That, or the Other
1. Underground OR Mainstream? Mainstream
2. Maintain Artistic Integrity and Vision OR Make a lot of Money? (or both)??? Both, but if I have to lean toward one, it would be Integrity/Vision.
3. Studio or Stage? Stage, I love vibing off the band and the audience. Anything can happen at any moment.
4. Spirituality OR Hedonism? Spirituality, it is at the heart of everything.
5. Make Love, Have Sex, OR %$*!? All of the above, but with the man I love.
Fill in the Blank
6. Music is my escape, my best mode of communication, and the boyfriend with whom I have a slightly obsessive relationship.
7. I’m musically inspired by a story that needs to be told.
8. My favorite old school joint is “Yesterday” by The Beatles.
9. If I was a super hero I’d be The Bionic Woman with Wonder Woman’s jet and jewelry.
10. Sex, Drugs, and Rock & Roll should change to Truth, Wine, and Live Instruments.
11. I make music because: It is the only job I would do for free.
12. I want my fans to: Feel inspired and to keep inspiring me.
13. If I could share one thing about myself it would be: Nothing motivates me more than being underestimated.
14. Wild Card! My ideal vacation is laying on a quiet beach with a mimosa and good book.
15. I want my musical legacy to be: Making a catalogue that is appreciated many years to come and that really captured what people of my time were thinking and feeling.
Enjoy the track, “Daydream,” from Higher Ground. Check out Wayna’s MySpace Page.
Wayna’s favorite old school joint!
* Editor’s Note: Though officially our first EVER featured Grammy Artist was Lisa “Left Eye” Lopes, though posthumously. I interviewed her brother, Ron Lopes, for a popolio podcast regarding her first posthumous release, Eye Legacy. TLC is a four-time Grammy-winning group. You can find that popolio podcast interview posted in January 2009 here.