We’ll be featuring each of the SFL guys individually on a weekly basis. First up is the vocalist of the group and, as such, he had a lot to say.
October 3, 2008
Name: Bryan Garza [Scissors For Lefty Vocals]
Genre: Indie Rock
Latest Release: Underhanded Romance (Eenie Meenie Records)
Release Date: June 12, 2007
This, That, or the Other
1. Underground OR Mainstream? There’s too much scoundrel in my blood to ever let a song be good enough to appeal to the mainstream. I really do try to subdue that side of me, but inevitably, them alter egos get the best of us. I don’t usually like mainstream music, but I can appreciate how hard it is to make. It takes a lot of subtraction, and one hell of a paint job. Rather than keeping my sites on being underground to the mainstream, I just ask myself, would Karen O like this? Would James Brown stop and chuckle? Would Joe Strummer hire a lawyer?? If I can impress a picky lover, or inspire a good band to rip us off, I’ll walk away with a smile.
2. Maintain Artistic Integrity and Vision OR Make a lot of Money? (or both)??? Don’t let bands/artists bullshit you. The moment you record anything, you are acknowledging that you would like it to be heard/seen by others. The moment you book a show, you are willfully embracing the title, “Entertainer”. I personally would love to have SFL’s music succeed just enough to afford us all a shared home, where we could live, and write music without the fear of starving each month. Maintaining your artistic integrity to me, is simply learning how to stand up for your quirks, while you collaborate.
3. Studio or Stage? Think of it as making Rice. 2 cups of stage, for every 1 cup of studio. J
4. Spirituality OR Hedonism? Hedonism will satisfy them oats, but being a Libra, I need balance. Don’t ask me why I said that, I don’t subscribe to astrology beyond the artwork. Long drives, jogs, bike rides, swims, are spiritual to me. I don’t mind going off the deep end, as long as I earn up some hedonism credits. Once I’ve got them, I’m one charming loose cannon!!!
5. Make Love, Have Sex, OR %$*!? I prefer to jerk off, for my sex drive is ludicrous. It keeps me out of trouble, and allows me to make love in the company of my gentle girlfriend.
Fill in the Blank
6. Music is my imaginary friend.
7. I’m musically inspired by films. Truly, I take notes when I watch movies J That and friends’ bands.
8. My favorite old school joint is “It’s Funky Enough” by The D.O.C.
9. If I was a super hero I’d be Super Parallel Parking Man.
10. Sex, Drugs, and Rock & Roll should change to Sex, Dishes, and Rock & Roll.
11. I make music because: It’s a shared ambition between my brother, my uncle, and my two best friends. It makes me feel accomplished in ways that Engineering didn’t. Free booze and a sense of artistic accomplishment is a plus too.
12. I want my fans to: Know that I Scissors For Lefty is a ragamuffin entertainment enigma. We fully embrace the search for true love, pirate planks, and celebrating that alter ego within.
13. If I could only share one thing about myself it would be: My undying ambition to be handy J
14. Wild Card! You would if you could but you can’t, cuz you’re legally tender. You’re noose was so happy until that ceiling fan…. It surrendered !!!
15. I want my musical legacy to be: A pleasant surprise to those that appreciate playful language, rebellious color schemes, rated R imagery.
Listen to the single “Lay Down Your Weapons” from their 2007 project, Underhanded Romance.
Bryan Garza’s favorite old school joint!